Election Information

We want to hear from YOU!

The RM of Edenwold No. 158 council is proposing alterations to Division 3 to remain responsive to the community. This would:  
- Create a new division, Division 7.                                                                                                                                                 -Improve representation by population within Emerald Park.                                                                                    -Take new growth in the Emerald Park-area into account.                  

Printed copies of this card have been sent to each household in the RM of Edenwold. Extra copies are posted here for your convenience to print.  Fill in your card and return it to the RM’s municipal office by July 3rd, 2020   or  mail it to: 100 Hutchence Rd, Emerald Park, S4L 1C6 or  email a scan or picture of completed form to: rm158@sasktel.net        


 Click here for full size form as shown above 

Divisional Boundaries

In 2016, the divisional boundaries were changed to combine Divisions 1, 3 and 5 into two divisions. Divisions 1 and 5 were altered to have TP RD 182 as the north/south division line (located one mile north of the Town of Balgonie and 1.5 miles north of the Town of Pilot Butte). Division 3 became the new division for Emerald Park. More information on divisional/electoral boundary alterations can be found here.


By-election and general election - November 9

A by-election for Divsion 4, scheduled for April 2020 and postponed due to pandemic concerns, has been rescheduled to be part of the November 9 general election. The three nominees for Division Four are letting their names stand.  Voters will elect councillors for Division One, Three, Four and Five as well as the Reeve. Preventative measures requested by health authorities will be implemented to keep voters safe.

For more information on the fall elections click here.

Elections for rural municpalities are held every four years. Monday, November 9th, 2020 is the provincially set date to elect reeves and councillors in odd-numbered divisions in rural municpalities.

Rural municipalities hold an election for selected divisions every two years (odd-numbered divisions in one election period and then for even-numbered divisions in the following election period). Each council member holds office for a four-year term.

Current council



Advance polls and election day polls are held at the RM of Edenwold office in Emerald Park, SK. All polling information is announced on the RM website, social media sites, in local post offices and with signage at the RM office.

Who Can Vote? 

To be eligible to vote, you must be at least 18 years old, be a Canadian citizen, and qualify as one of the following:

  1. a resident in the rural municipality for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election

  2. the registered owner (or purchaser under a bona fide agreement for sale) of land in the rural municipality

  3. assessed with respect to land in the rural municipality under a lease, license, permit, or contract in agreement with the registered owner

  4. assessed with respect to an improvement in the rural municipality

  5. hold a permit in the rural municipality with respect to a trailer or mobile home
    a spouse of a person mentioned in (b), (c), (d), or (e) above; or
    the chief executive officer of a duly incorporated co-operative, corporation or religious association that is assessed on the last revised assessment roll with respect to property in the rural municipality that is not exempt from taxation.

Councillors are elected by voters qualifying to vote in the division they are seeking election to represent. The bottom right corner of your RM property tax notice contains the information about the division you live in.

Valid identification to use at polls

To vote you must provide valid identification with your photo, name and address. Bringing government issued photo ID is your best option. Other options include:

  • A valid Saskatchewan Driver's Licence;

  • A valid Saskatchewan ID card issued by SGI or any motor licence issuer

  • Any other valid government issued photo ID issued by a Canadian government whether federal, provincial or municipal, or an agency of that government, so long as it includes your name and address.

  • A Canadian passport is not an acceptable form of photo identification because it does not contain your address. However, a Canadian passport can be used as identification if paired with another document that has your name and address on it.

Non-Photo ID Options

  • If you don't have photo identification and are unable to obtain photo-ID before election day, you can present two other pieces of information, as long as both contain your name and at least one contains your address. Options:

  • Valid ID cards or certificates issued by the Canadian or Saskatchewan government, a Saskatchewan municipality or school division, a Saskatchewan Indian band, the Métis Nation of  Saskatchewan or an agency of one of these entities.

  • Personal correspondence, benefit/contribution statements and tax/assessment notices issued by any of the above entities.

  • Bank/credit union cards, credit cards and statements.

  • Utility bills and statements issued within six months of the date of the election.

  • Personalized attestation of residence, letter of stay or admission form issued by a seniors or student residence, long term care or shelter facility.


A person without acceptable ID but who is accompanied by another voter who has acceptable ID and is entitled to vote at the same polling place can be vouched for by that individual using the form available at the polling station from an election official.

  • A voter with acceptable ID may only vouch for one other person, except for immediate family members living at the same address as the voucher.

  • A person who has been vouched for cannot vouch for another voter.

  • Election officials, candidates and candidate's agents are prohibited from vouching.

Running as a candidate/candidate eligibility

You are eligible to run for council and for nomination if you are:

  •  at least 18 years old on election day

  • a Canadian citizen

  • a Saskatchewan resident for the past six months;

  • not disqualified from being nominated by The Local Government Elections Act, 2015 (LGEA) or any other Act; and

  • are eligible to vote in the rural municipality.

Candidates require two voters to sign their nomination paper. If a candidate is running as a councillor, the nominators must be eligible to vote in the division the candidate wishes to represent. The candidate's nomination paper must be duly completed, signed, and accompanied by the candidate's signed acceptance.  Effective January 1st, 2020 the Public Disclosure Statement is required with nomination forms. 
Here is more information put together from the Government of Saskatchewan candidates may find helpful as well as the forms.

Nomination Form & Candidate's Acceptance Form

Public Disclosure Statement Form

Public Disclosure Tips


Election Signage

Temporary election signage can be placed in public right of ways. There are specific RM Bylaws that dictate where signs can be placed.

Zoning Bylaw 2010-17 - Section 4.39.2  Temporary Signage:

  •   Temporary signs must be self-supporting and must not be attached to any municipal property such as fences, benches, bus shelters, trees, street light poles or traffic signal poles;
  •  Signs shall not be located in such a manner as to impede the view of any pedestrian or vehicular right of way, or railway crossing;
  • Where a sign will be located adjacent to a provincial highway, The Highways and Transportation Act will govern placement requirements;

Section 4.39.22  Temporary Signs Not Requiring a Permit:

  • Election signage is permitted as temporary signage and is permitted only if it is erected no more than 30 days prior to the date of the election, by-election, referendum or plebiscite and removed 24 hours following the close of voting stations;
  • Signage not requiring a permit shall not exceed 1 m2 (10.76 ft2);

Section 4.39.3  Removal of Signs by the Municipality:

  • Signs which impede or interfere with the repair or maintenance work of Municipal employees on any property owned or controlled by the Municipality may be removed by the Municipality without notice.

Ensure you are in compliance with the election signage regulations from the Zoning Bylaw 2010-17.