All construction, renovation, demolition, and changes in activity on a parcel require a Development Permit. This can include:
- Starting a new business or making changes to a business
- Digging a trench for sand, gravel, or other aggregate collection
- Digging a basement
- Site Grading and pre-construction work
- Pouring or constructing a driveway
- Conducting structural renovations
- Building a deck or pool
- Building a new home or attachment to your home, and
- Building a new building, solar farm, wind farm, greenhouse, or other type of building
Development permits are outlined in the RM's Zoning Bylaw. This bylaw outlines a list of permitted and discretionary uses allowed within each zoning district. To learn more about zoning districts, click here.
If a proposed use is considered permitted within the zoning district, please complete a Development Permit Application and submit it to the RM Office by dropping it off at the RM Office, mailing it to 100 Hutchence Road, Emerald Park, SK, S4L 1C6, or sending a scanned copy of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
In some circumstances, you may want to propose minor changes to requirements concerning minimum distances between a building and a property line or between a building and another building on the same property. The RM's Zoning Bylaw (Section 3.19) allows the Development Officer to make these adjustments through a minor variance.
You may apply for a minor variance of up to 10% from the minimum required distance outlined in the Zoning Bylaw. If you are interested in applying for a minor variance for your development, please complete a Minor Variance Application and attach it to your development permit application.