Discretionary Use Permits

Discretionary uses are those activities that Council believes will have a more significant effect on surrounding properties and thus require greater public engagement. The process to apply for a discretionary use permit is outlined in the RM's Zoning Bylaw and must follow a series of established steps. Altogether, the discretionary use process can take between 2 and 4 months.

Discretionary Use Process

1. Submit a Discretionary Use Application to the RM Office by dropping it off in-person, mailing it to 100 Hutchence Road, Emerald Park, SK, S4L 1C6, or by emailing it to susan.stevenson@edenwold-sk.ca

2. An RM Planner will organise a public hearing for the discretionary use permit. This hearing must be advertised in the Quad Town Forum for a minimum of 2 weeks, with the first advertisement published at least 15 days before the public hearing. A letter must also be sent to all property owners within a certain distance of the project site. You will be responsible for paying all advertising costs - the Quad Town costs between $400 and $600, and letters are sent out at $1.50 per letter. The distance requiring letters is determined by the location of the subject parcel:

Emerald Park
150 meters from the parcel
Within the Development Overlay Area, but outside of Emerald Park
800 meters from the parcel
Outside the Development Overlay Area
1600 meters from the parcel

3. At the public hearing, an RM planner will present the discretionary use permit to Council for approval. The public hearing will also give other members of the public the opportunity to make verbal or written submissions to Council. As the applicant, you are invited to attend the public hearing. If you attend, you may also make a verbal submission to Council arguing in favour of your application.

4. If Council approves, an RM Planner will issue a discretionary use permit for your project. This permit may outline a series of conditions you must meet. If you fail to meet any condition outlined in your permit, your approval will be rescinded.

After receiving a discretionary use permit, you may apply for a building permit by contacting the RM Planning Department at (306) 347-2965 or by email at susan.stevenson@edenwold-sk.ca